And what a GREAT SHOW it was!
- Best in Show: Jamie Schell
- Best Original Design: Mark Laub
- Best Traditional Piece: Mike Nesnidal
- Best Detail: Brad Hopke
- Best Handwork: Tony Kubalak
- Best Finish: Jason Holtz
- Best use of Laser/CNC: Greg Flanagan
- Best Carving: Charlie Kocourek
- Best Turning: Steve McLoon
- Best First Time in Show: Amelia Kennedy
- Most Technically Accomplished: Joe Morgan
- Woodworking for Pleasure: Joe Morgan
- Judges Award: Craig Johnson
- Peer Award: Mark Laub
- Paul Lee Award: Jeff Hand
- Tom Schrunk Excellence in Veneering Award: Brad Hopke
- People's Choice: Guess Who!? Yes, Mr. Laub
- Showing you the work of our artists who represent a wide range of creative expressions.
- Introducing you to the artists, allowing both you and the artist to engage in the creation story behind each new piece.
- Helping you discover how art and function combine to create objects that enhance the pleasure of living.
- to advocate high standards in our craft
- to meet new friends and discuss woodworking
- to educate ourselves and the public about woodworking
Tales of Hoffman...
The January Guild meeting was hosted by Jeff Hoffman of Hoffman's Countertops. Jeff gave a great presentation and tour, featuring automated cabinet equipment such as the amazing CAD CabinetWare software, a Selexx Chief CNC panel router, and Holzer edge bander. The demonstration, from concept to kitchen design to product, was fascinating.
If you missed it, check out this summary!
Xylos OPENS at International Square!
We're very excited to announce the Grand Reopening of Xylos at International Market Square - Minneapolis Design Center.
Stop by the shop and let us know what you think. Xylos is a community of independent woodworking artists who share gallery space at International Market Square. We look forward to:
Check our website for images, artists, and news!
Archives Upgraded for Northern Woods Catalogs and Newsletters!
Get with the program!
Guild member "speed-builds" a great table!
Guild member Andrew Klein learned some excellent skills from Seth Rolland at the 2013 Fall Seminar. Check out this awesome video. showing a project that he did utilizing some techniques learned from Seth, from various web sources, as well as utilizing some of his own design skills and creativity.
Coming in June: The Art of Fine Furniture
Come on down to the beautiful city of Winona for the Art of Fine Furniture Exhibit, running from June 21st through September 11th. This year features works from members of the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild and other well-known furniture makers. There will also be workshops on marquetry, bent lamination, and harvesting your own wood. This is a top-notch show and a great excuse for an overnight jaunt to beautiful southeaster Minnesota. Click here for details..
Does Money Really Grow on Trees?
Is your yard tree worth the millions you think it is? For an excellent summary from the DNR about the value of our yard trees check out Is My Yard Tree Worth Money?
This and other helpful reference links can be found on the Links Page under Reference.
The Minnesota Woodworkers Guild is a group of professional and amateur woodworkers bound together by three goals:
The Guild hosts monthly educational meetings, produces a bi-monthly newsletter, and sponsors the annual “Northern Woods” show, an exhibition of fine woodworking. We welcome membership by all woodworkers, regardless of what they build, their level of skill, style of work, or their profession.
Our goal is to encourage the highest standards in woodworking, while allowing each of our members to grow at their own pace, from whatever level of skill and accomplishment they begin with.
Simply put, we want each of our members to become the best woodworker they are capable of, and to enjoy telling their Guild friends about it along the way.