2014 Fall Seminar: A Weekend with Thomas Hucker
- This year we are fortunate to have Thomas Hucker leading our weekend.
Tom is a professional furniture maker, whose exquisite pieces have been displayed in galleries and
museums around the world including permanent exhibitions at the Boston Museum of Fine Art and the Renwick gallery.
He is the recipient of numerous awards, grants and fellowships, received his craft training in Milan, Italy, and has
taught and lectured throughout the US and Japan. We are lucky to visit with him right here in Minnesota this November.
- Our topic this year will focus on the critical importance of design in our craft. We will be studying classic design principles,
sources of inspiration, and the process and evolution of project completion...from idea, to prototypes, to final object. We will
learn Tom's approach to balancing utility with personal expression
- This year, our weekend will be interactive, encouraging participation and involvement from all. It will be as close
to "hands on" as any of our fall seminars. We hope you will mark your calendar and join us for an inspiring weekend with Tom Hucker...one of the best around!
Log onto Thomas Hucker Sutdio to see his work and learn more about him.
The Fab Four for Fourteen
- Four Minnesota Woodworkers Guild members have their work featured in the Readers Gallery section of
the December 2014 issue of Fine Woodworking. According to the magazine, "Readers Gallery provides
design inspiration by showcasing the work of our readers." The artisans and their works are:
- Ed Neu's Mt. Lebanon Shaker rocker reproduction
- Craig Johnson's sliding lid box
- Dale Johnson's pantry cabinet
- Timothy Gorman's turned container with lid
- All four pieces were on display at the 2014 Northern Woods Show. Pick up a copy of
the magazine to see the photos (p. 75) or click on the Gallery link to see these and the other 2014 Northern Woods
- CONGRATULATIONS Ed, Craig, Dale and Tim!
Archives Upgraded for Northern Woods Catalogs and Newsletters!
Get with the program!
Guild member "speed-builds" a great table!
Guild member Andrew Klein learned some excellent skills from Seth Rolland at the 2013 Fall Seminar. Check out this awesome video. showing a project that he did utilizing some techniques learned from Seth, from various web sources, as well as utilizing some of his own design skills and creativity.
Coming in June: The Art of Fine Furniture
Come on down to the beautiful city of Winona for the Art of Fine Furniture Exhibit, running from June 21st through September 11th. This year features works from members of the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild and other well-known furniture makers. There will also be workshops on marquetry, bent lamination, and harvesting your own wood. This is a top-notch show and a great excuse for an overnight jaunt to beautiful southeaster Minnesota. Click here for details..
Does Money Really Grow on Trees?
Is your yard tree worth the millions you think it is? For an excellent summary from the DNR about the value of our yard trees check out Is My Yard Tree Worth Money?
This and other helpful reference links can be found on the Links Page under Reference.
The Minnesota Woodworkers Guild is a group of professional and amateur woodworkers bound together by three goals:
- to advocate high standards in our craft
- to meet new friends and discuss woodworking
- to educate ourselves and the public about woodworking
The Guild hosts monthly educational meetings, produces a bi-monthly newsletter, and sponsors the annual “Northern Woods” show, an exhibition of fine woodworking. We welcome membership by all woodworkers, regardless of what they build, their level of skill, style of work, or their profession.
Our goal is to encourage the highest standards in woodworking, while allowing each of our members to grow at their own pace, from whatever level of skill and accomplishment they begin with.
Simply put, we want each of our members to become the best woodworker they are capable of, and to enjoy telling their Guild friends about it along the way.